Free School Meals – is my child eligible?
Children of families who receive one of the following support payments are eligible to receive free school meals:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190 (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs)
Note: From 1 May 2009 where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than the required hours for entitlement per week, their children are entitled to free school meals
I think I my child is eligible – how do I apply?
The easiest and quickest way to apply is by telephone. A preliminary benefit entitlement check will be undertaken and if successful the process will be completed by the end of the call. Telephone 01623 433009
How do free school meals work at The Minster School?
Rest assured that your child has a dinner money card exactly the same as everybody else in the school, the free school meal allowance is loaded on to the card by the school and requires no input from your child. Your son/daugheter uses their card to purchase their meal in exactly the same way as everybody else, any remaining credit at the end of the day is removed from the card and a new allowance loaded the next day. If you feel that you may be entitled to claim, then we would encourage you to do so. Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.