The following Governor opportunities are available:
Development for Chairs of Governors (funding available*)
We are pleased to offer a Development for Chairs programme in partnership with the National Governance Association (NGA).
This programme falls under the Leading Governance umbrella and is funded by the Department for Education. If you are a chair, vice chair, committee chair or future chair, then this programme is designed to develop your governing skills, knowledge and confidence.
This programme offers a blend of flexible learning and will take approximately three terms to complete.
Led by experienced facilitators, participants will attend local workshops and access effective one-to-one mentoring throughout the duration of this programme, to ensure the skills learnt can be translated in to the real world. Learning will be both group-led and independent.
- Three face-to-face workshops focusing on leadership development
- 360-degree diagnostic to evaluate strengths and development needs
- Access to interactive e-learning modules and resources
- participation in action learning sets
- support with creating a school-based project and action plan
The full cost of this programme is £500. Funding for the full cost of the course is available.
* Subject to conditions.
Bookings for the programme can be made via the NGA website.
Guidance on completing the form can be found in the FAQs document.If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact Trish O'Malley, Teaching School Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org
Some feedback from 2018-19 participants:
The sessions I attended were delivered with pace yet allowing plenty of time for activity based discussion leading to a better understanding of the complex task of being a Chair of Governors. The highly skilled facilitator very quickly established a great working relationship with the group and assisted in enabling us to bond in an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust. Overall I found the programme to be extremely beneficial. Robert Lancaster
The programme was a useful networking exercise as well as ensuring that all Chairs understood their roles, especially if they were part of a larger MAT. The venue is great and facilities good. Thank you for allowing us to use your school and making us feel so welcome. Alison Taylor
Programme was good, informative and thought provoking. It was worthwhile and gave a greater understanding of a volunteering position the attendees work in. It will help us all develop best practice and how to learn from others. The venue was good, it was great there was lots of space in the room and the refreshments were also well received. Sarah Latus
Development for Clerks (funding available*)
We are pleased to offer a Development for Clerks programme in partnership with the National Governance Association (NGA).
Clerks play a core role on governing boards and are integral in ensuring high standards are met. With the welfare of pupils at the heart of everything we do, our Development for Clerks programme, which falls under our accredited Leading Governance umbrella, is designed to ensure both new and experienced clerks have all the knowledge and skills they need to carry out this role effectively.
This programme aims to nurture high quality clerking through recognising professional competencies and ensuring that clerking is both effective and sustainable by:
- developing the clerk’s knowledge, skills and networks
- the creation of a realistic school-based project which aims to improve effectiveness in clerking practice
- enhancing the clerk’s awareness of their own strengths and areas for development
- creating self-supporting groups to ensure learning and support continue beyond the duration of the programme
- an accredited qualification
This is a development programme designed for those already in a clerking role and will include:
- four face-to-face workshops with an experienced facilitator focusing on the development of clerking competencies
- a dedicated mentor to provide guidance and support
- 360-degree diagnostic of the participant’s strengths and areas for development
- access to interactive e-learning modules and resources
- participation in peer-to-peer and group learning to strengthen and support networking
- support with creating and completing a focussed school-based project
- support in completion of a learning log to record personalised areas for focus and key learning points
Development for Clerks - £425 (partially funded)
DfE funding is available for £350 of the full cost, leaving £75 for you to pay.
Further information will be published shortly for 2019-20.
* Subject to conditions.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact Trish O'Malley, Teaching School Administrator email@example.com
Development for Boards of Governors (funding available*)
Further information will be published shortly.