Homework is a valuable and essential part of the learning process at the Minster School. In providing a wide range of appropriate home learning activities, the school supports students in the extension and enhancement of their own learning.
The school uses on online system for the setting of homework, which enables students to keep track of what they need to do. “Show My Homework” helps students stay on top of their work, supports teachers in making sure students have all the information they need and allows parents/carers to keep track of what needs doing at home.
Homework fulfils a number of important functions:
- Encouraging students to develop the skills, confidence and motivation needed to study effectively as independent learners.
- Consolidating and reinforcing knowledge, understanding and skills developed at school.
- Extending learning beyond the classroom.
Parents can support learning at home by:
- Providing an appropriate study space for home learning tasks.
- Showing interest, giving advice, guidance, support and encouragement.
- Where appropriate, actively being involved in specific tasks set.
- Supporting students in being organised and in meeting deadlines.
The tables below indicate the average amount of time a typical student should be spending on homework over a fortnight. This may be broken up into smaller units of time or brought together in larger projects.
|Subject||Year 7||Year 8||Year 9|
|English||1 hour||1 hour||1.5 hours|
|Maths||1 hour||1 hour||1 hour|
|Science||1 hour||1 hour||1.5 hours|
|Languages||45 minutes||1.5 hours||1.5 hours|
|Geography||30 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|History||30 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|RE||30 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|Technology||30 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|Music||30 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|Drama||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|Art||30 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|ICT/Computing||30 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|Approx total||7.25 hours||8.5 hours||9.5 hours|
|Subject||Year 10||Year 11|
|English||2 hours||2 hours|
|Maths||2 hours||2 hours|
|Science||2 hours||2 hours|
|Languages||1.5 hours||1.5 hours|
|RE||1 hour||1 hour|
|Work Related Learning||30 minutes|
|Each option subject (3)||1 hour||1 hour|
|Additional study||3 hours|
|Approx total||12 hours||14.5 hours|