Every year many students progress from the main school into our 6th form and continue with their studies at the Minster School. With more than 30 subject choices we offer one of the widest ranges of post-16 academic qualifications in the area.
There are 400 places available in the 6th form (approx 200 places in each year) and these are filled both by prior students and by those joining us from elsewhere for their post-16 studies. We welcome applications from students who have not attended the Minster School previously. A good number of external students join us each year and are extremely successful here. Although our admissions arrangements specify a number of available places for external applicants, it is very common for us to offer a place to an applicant that has met our academic entry requirements.
Our entry requirements and course offer are detailed below.
To make a school visit please contact Miss Rebecca Toms (6th form administrator) email@example.com
Entry Requirements - 2019 information coming soon...
Admissions criteria for 2018 entry
Students commencing sixth form study in September will need to have achieved at least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above in separate subjects, including GCSE English Language or Maths. We may consider applications from students with 5 GCSE grades at grade 4 or above who do not achieve grade 4 in English Language and also do not achieve a grade 4 in Maths, based on individual circumstances. These applications will be considered following the publication of GCSE results in August.
Application and admissions cycle 2018 entry
Applications should be submitted by Friday 24th November 2017. Applications submitted after that date will be accepted but early submission of applications means it is highly likely that the desired subject combinations will be possible. If you wish to make changes to your A Level choices please let us know at the earliest opportunity. Please note that the availability of some subjects and subject combinations will depend upon levels of demand and staffing.
Important note: We very much welcome applications from students currently at other schools. The Minster School endeavours to provide students with their first choice combination of subjects. However, we cannot guarantee that all possible combinations can be met, particularly if students change their subject choices after their initial application. Our curriculum model is reviewed annually and may be subject to change prior to September 2018.
Currently, all students are expected to study four subjects alongside an Extended Project Qualification or Core Maths. At least three of these subjects will be A levels. Students will take one of the two following pathways.
This is a four-subject A-level programme, alongside the Extended Project Qualification or Core Mathematics.
This pathway is for students who:
- have achieved 5 or more A*-C (9-4) grades including English Language and Mathematics.
- have achieved a minimum grade 6 in Mathematics for students who wish to study Mathematics - have achieved a minimum grade 7 in Mathematics for students who wish to study Further Mathematics
- have achieved a minimum of grade 6 at GCSE Science (or the individual subject they wish to study) for students who wish to study Physics, Chemistry or Biology
- have ideally achieved a grade 6 or better in the chosen option subjects or closely-related GCSE subjects
This is a three-subject A-level programme, alongside the Extended Project Qualification or Core Mathematics. This pathway includes a re-sit course for either GCSE English Language or Mathematics for students who have not achieved the minimum expected grade 4. Students who have a grade 4 in both Maths and English may retake one of these alongside 3 A-level subjects if they are on Pathway 2 to improve their GCSE qualifications. This pathway is for students who:
- have achieved 5 or more A*-C (9-4) grades including either an English qualification or Mathematics at grade 4 or above.
- have achieved grade C (4) in the chosen subjects or closely-related GCSE subjects
- have achieved a minimum grade 6 in Mathematics for students who wish to study Mathematics - have achieved a minimum of grade 6 at GCSE Science (or the individual subject they wish to study) for students who wish to study Physics, Chemistry or Biology
Additional Criteria for Science Courses (Pathway 1 and 2)
- Physics – at least grade 6 in GCSE Maths
- Chemistry – at least grade 5 in GCSE Maths
- Biology – at least grade 4 in GCSE Maths